Pages

Wednesday 12 July 2017

Winter Learning Journey #Day 3 Wild Eyes

Activity 1: Day 3

The animal that I am going to adopt is a native animal which called a tuatara. A tuatara is a living reptile which is the longest most living reptile. It is also older than dinosaurs! It has survived for approximately 200 million years. Did you know that young tuataras have a third eye. The third eye is on top of their brains between their other eyes.  

What do they eat:
Tuataras are carnivores, which means they eat meat. Such as huhu grubs, weta, baby mice and other sorts of insects.

They were many tuataras found all over New Zealand. But now they live in 32 offshore islands. If a predator eats the tail of a tuatara it can regenerate again. Which means it will grow its tail back again.

Activity 2:

Here are my 3 reasons why all possums should be killed in New Zealand.Screenshot 2017-07-12 at 12.35.29 PM.png

The main thing about all predators is that they affect us. Poor farmers have to pay millions of dollars because of damage made by possums! Lot’s of people in New Zealand are starting to trap possums but I think that it’s just sad. Instead of killing our predators they should go back to where they came from instead of killing them. Also other predators like stoats and rats are harmful too. Like stoats carry out dead baby ducks which is really sad. Also it destroys our environment with predators running over our plants and spilling rubbish!

PS: I got lot’s of help from my sister actually she helped me with the whole thing!


2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Loseli

    I am enjoying learning along with you on the Winter Learning Journey. I do agree with you about the possums. I grew up on a farm and saw the damage these imported creatures do. I must say that clothes made out of possum merino are super warm and cosy to wear in Winter!
    Mrs Burt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Loseli,

    It is really nice to see that your sister is helping you with your activities for the Winter Learning Journey programme. I used to help my sister with her work, sometimes, when we were growing up. I am two years older than her (Leigh) so I had often just completed a project that she was starting. I think that we're pretty lucky to have sisters, aren't we? Leigh lives in Canada with her family but I still talk to her a lot on Skype. In fact, we have a Skype data tomorrow morning. I can't wait!

    Keep up the great work with your blogging. I'm looking forward to reading your next post already ;)

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete