Pages

Thursday 5 January 2017

Summer Learning Journey W2 A1

Week 2: Culture, Customs and Climate
This week you will be introduced to life in a new country. You will learn about the language, weather, family structure and school system in that country. You will then be invited to create and share your blogs with people currently living in each of these countries! To get started, take a look at the activities for Day 6 – Hola!
Day 6 – Hola!

Kia ora! G’day! Selamat! Guten Morgen! Hola! Welcome to the beautiful country of your choice. Before you leave the airport and go to your hotel, you will want to learn how to say hello in the language of your country. Look at the table below to learn basic words and phrases that you may need when you are travelling around the country.

English
Canada, United Kingdom, Australia
Spanish
Chile, Mexico
German
Germany
Malay
Malaysia
Japanese
Japan
Arabic
United Arab Emirates
Afrikaans
South Africa
Hello
Hola
Hallo
Hello
Kon'nichiwa

Marhabaan

Hallo
Thank You
Gracias
Danke
Terima kasih
Arigatogozaimas

Shukraan

Dankie
Do you speak English?
¿Habla usted Inglés?

Sprechen sie Englisch?
Adakah anda bercakap Bahasa Inggeris?
Eigo o hanasemasu ka?

Hal tatahaddath alanjlyzy?

Praat jy Engels?


Activity 1
Once you have read these phrases you will be ready to leave the airport and head to your hotel. Take a moment and imagine how you might feel if you were standing in the airport in a foreign country and you had to figure out how to communicate with people in a brand new language. Would you be scared? Would you feel confident? Write a short poem that describes how you might be feeling (i.e. excited, happy, scared, nervous, etc).

OMG it's time I'm out of my mind ready to play some football. Wait I feel nervous now oh should I go and just play some football? Nahh I'm just kidding wait is it really. Now my confident's has gone down now. Oh someone just ask something what should I reply. Let me try my translator and it will be fine. Well now it's fine I say goodbye now let's get ready to go to the hotel. I'm in the hotel feeling so well now a man just said something I oh here it comes again. Well now it's fine again I say goodbye again. Now let's enjoy the rest of the week!

( I would like to give credit's to my sister Amelia who is also doing the SLJ because she helped me with my poem)

Activity 2
Take a selfie that captures how you might be feeling. I think that I would most likely be feeling scared.

Example of Rachel!

This is a photo of me that captures of how I might me feeling. I would most likely be happy because I am excited to explore Germany.



1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Loseli!

    What a lovely smile! I would also be grinning like that too. When I went to visit my brother in Berlin, we went to all kinds of fun and interesting places and I was grinning most of the time, or just generally amazed. It's all so big over there. New Zealand feels so small sometimes.

    It was really interesting to travel around Europe anyway, I highly recommend you go one day. It opens your eyes, trust me.

    Kia kaha! Keep up the great work... again!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete